Monday, February 14, 2011

From the Flirt Files, He Touched my Hair

As I searched my memory for a good flirting story from the Flirt Files I pretty much came up with a blank. I was as shy as the girls in my novel Flirt Club as a tween. Not only was I a poor flirter, I was sort of flirt-repellent, i. e. if boys flirted with me I totally froze up. There is a scene from my book where the boy of Izzy's dream asks her to slow dance, then hefts her up, tucks her into a coat closet with him and shuts the door. As he leans in for a kiss she panics and bolts out of the closet. This happened to me. With the boy of my 8th grade dreams. Anyhoo. I want to tell a story about youthful flirtation in honor of Valentines Day and my book so here is true story about a boy flirting with me, since as far I can remember I didn't flirt with anyone as a tween. Ever.

From The Flirt Files (and The Drama Geek Files) ~ He Touch my Hair

When I was 14 I had the grand opportunity to spend a summer studying at A.C.T. (American Conservatory Theater) in San Francisco. It was a big deal. You had to audition to participate. I took a train and a bus and a hike to get there everyday. The movie Fame had just come out in theaters and (in my mind) I was living it. Singing show tunes in Union Square with my theater geek friends while running through seas of pigeons so they'd explode around our dewy young heads in a roar. Their thundering wings mingling with our shameless chortling! Oh the drama! Oh the chortling!

Anyhoo. All the girls, and by all I mean ALL the girls at A.C.T. had a crush on this one boy/student named Nick. Except me. He wasn't my type. His shirts were a little bit too tight. His hair was a weee bit too coiffed. I liked the mute punk boy in baggy clothes who folded himself into corners. Who quietly glowered at our ebullient theater geek antics. I Loved him. I can't remember his name.

I should also state for the record that I can be a rebellious and contrary person, sometimes for no good reason. If everyone likes Nick? Well, then I won't! Nick, being the rooster of the yard could sense my disinterest. And of course this compelled him. I thought he was talented, charismatic, and good-looking but he didn't ring my bell. He became very interested in my bell. I don't think he had a crush on me I think he wanted me to tinkle and cluck along with the rest.

One day in his effort to win over the one wayward hen (me), he noticed I was standing across the room reading a script alone. He locked his gaze upon mine. He walked towards me. Slowly. Purposefully. When he got about an inch away he slowed down, and without speaking he lifted a hank of my long brown hair off my collar-bone. Flipped it over my shoulder in a very pointed, flippy manner. And still without speaking, he glided away. And I? I cast upon him a withering glance.

Within a year Nick (whose full name was Nicholas Coppola) had a movie out in theaters called Valley Girl and had changed his name to Nicholas Cage. Yep. Nicholas Cage touched my hair.

And I cast upon him a withering glance.

Do I regret it? Mostly, no. Because 1) it makes a better story this way. 2) I didn't really appreciate him until things like Raising Arizona and Wild at Heart came out. 3) I've grown to really like him as an actor but he never made my heart go pitter-patter. But for those of you who do swoon for him - you may now commence throwing things at me. As long as they're soft- balled up paper, snack-cakes, and particularly chocolate covered marshmallow valentines hearts would all be acceptable.


10 comments:

  1. Your blog rocks.
    This story rocks.
    and I LOVE that the same spirit imbues FLIRT CLUB with all its relateable and laugh-out-loud funny moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, basically you rejected NICOLAS CAGE. Which is pretty AWESOME.

    Also, this post was hilarious. Also, on the subject of his movies the only one I really totally love is that one... National Treasure? Hahahahaaaaa. But honestly I haven't seen too many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a hilarious story! I'm not really into Nicolas Cage, but that picture you posted of him is pretty hot. If he looked like that during your A.C.T. days, I probably would've had a crush on him, too. Speaking of A.C.T., I remember in elementary and middle school taking field trips there to see the plays. Such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, Jordyn and orangebumblebee, THANK-YOU for the comments. As a word geek I was excited to use the words "chortling" and "hank" in one post.
    Jordyn, and anyone who reads this, my favorite movie with Nicholas Cage in it is BY FAR "Adaptation". It's quirky, layered, and in my opinion, brilliant. Plus it's about a writer with writer's block, so I could relate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adaptation was a good movie. I love most of the movies written by Charlie Kauffman. My favorite is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly an awesome story, and well told. I love Adaptation, too. Talk about jumping the shark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This story was amazing! Nicholas Cage!?! I have only enjoyed National Treasure. Have you attempted in sharing this post with him?

    I just recently read Flirt Club because i won it through the giveaway you were having on Goodreads. Please check my review out:
    http://diaryofacambridgestudent.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/flirt-club-by-cathleen-daly/

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://diaryofacambridgestudent.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/flirt-club-by-cathleen-daly/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thanks for sharing your link and thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a fabulous blog! I’m an author and illustrator and I made some awards to give to fellow bloggers whose sites I enjoy. I want to award you with the Best Books Blog Award for all the hard work you do!

    I invite you to follow me, if you haven’t already done so, since we have a lot in common, but no pressure. I’m not giving you the award just so you will follow me. You really do deserve it!
    Take care:-)

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra

    P.S.

    I'm also looking to interview published authors (agented, self published, small press, etc.) to find out what they wrote and what the pathway to publishing was like for them.

    Let me know if you are interested in being interviewed and I will send over the questions you can fill out at your leisure. My email address is Guidedhope (at)gmail(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete